[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Feb 26 12:36:04 GMT 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:28:18 +0100, "Waldemar Oblizajek"
<woblizajek at klub.chip.pl> wrote:

>Then I changed file1.txt and run import again with following results:
>
>C:\dir1>cvs import -m "Second import" dir1 VENDOR01 V1
>cvs server: ERROR: tag VENDOR01 already exists in
>D:/CVSREPO/dir1/file1.txt,v
>cvs server: ERROR: tag VENDOR01 already exists in
>D:/CVSREPO/dir1/file2.txt,v
>U dir1/file2.txt

It's telling you what's wrong - you can't use the same branch twice.
It used to work but delete the old branch - We now enforce the rule
explicitly because it was possible to trash your repository if you
typed the wrong branch.

> I followed CVS manual which  suggests the vendor tag should be the same
>each time the new release is imported.

If it says that it needs changing... where does it say it?