[cvsnt] Re: RC4 glitches or features...?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Aug 16 01:25:12 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Oliver Giesen wrote:
>
> > Upon updating my WinCvs working copy using Checkout via :ssh: I get
> > a "move away..." message for every single up-to-date file in my
> > sandbox.  This does not happen if I update the sandbox using Update
> > instead of Checkout.
>
> That's nothing to do with ssh... it's just a transport.

Indeed. It also happens with :pserver:-accessed SF.net repositories. I
hadn't gotten beyond testing the :ssh:-accessed one before I wrote my
post. Working with the CVSNT repository at cvs.cvsnt.org via anonymous
:pserver: does also not exhibit the problem.

> Has the sandbox got corrupted in some way?

Not as far as I can tell. All files I looked at seem alright and the
meta data looks alright as well. Older clients can handle it in any
case. Actually, apart from the hundreds of "move away" messages
everything appears to be working fine.

> > Going back to the CVSNT 2.0.51d, 2.0.58a or 2.5.1.2025 client
> > binaries resolves both issues.
>
> The client is unchanged since build 2025 apart from some unicode
> stuff which wouldn't affect you.

Well, but why then does using a different client change the behaviour
back to normal?

> That points to a change in the server.. you can only get that message
> if the server is telling the client that all the files are new, not
> updated.

As I wrote, accessing the exact same server with the exact same
commandline but with a different version of the client eliminates the
problem.
The server I'm testing this against is the CVS 1.11.20 at cvs.sf.net .

Cheers,

--