[cvsnt] Re: Use of modules(2) to check out several separate directories into different directories.

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Jan 24 23:40:47 GMT 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> What I meant was this:
> 1) Assuming all binaries are in a single module folder on the server
> 2) Assuming multiple "projects" are checked out to individual source
> directories in parallel
> 3) Also assume that the binary of each all go to the same sandbox
> folder in the same way as they are on the server.
>
> Then the sandbox binaries folder will have a varying number of
> binaries inside depending on how many "proojects" have been checked
> out. If there are more than one then more than one projects are also
> out.
> When tagging projects one would select the source dir of that project
> and tag it.
> But then one also needs to tag the binary and this has to
> be done by individual selection of that binary file in the binaries
> folder, because selecting the binaries folder will tag also the
> binaries of the other projects with the same tag...

Actually I would use rtag with the same module I used for checkout and
thus not be hit by that problem. That's the beauty of it really. Module
usage should not stop on checkout. The only drawback is that when
tagging the repositpory there is no 100% certainty you're really
tagging the revisions you intended to as hypothetically someone else
might have committed newer revisions already in the meantime. This is
not much of an issue for us though as we're basically just a three man
team working back to back (plus a doc writer). Obviously the severity
of this issue increases proportionally with the size of the team and
disproportionally with the quality of their communication process...

> Better to use a separate sandbox for each project where the Include
> files and binaries are checked out with the sources.
> Another project will have the same includes again so there is a
> duplication, but that is no real problem.

No, not at all. That's actually a plus IMO. Personally, whenever I tag
a project (and I'm not just talking release tags here) I also tag all
libraries (including third-parties) that project depends upon. All in
one go mark you - using modules definitions. ;)

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org