[cvsnt] Re: Branch merging - this seems wrong...

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Jun 6 11:47:03 BST 2006

Tony Eva wrote:

> So it is fair to postulate a series of merges from the stable
> branch to the development branch, culminating in one merge
> back from the development branch to the stable branch at the
> end.

I've done exactly this in many situations. For me at least, there's nothing
strange about this approach -- it's my standard procedure in such a
situation.

Whenever I had to do such a merge, I didn't rely too much on cvsnt, though.
I usually had four copies of the code in parallel during the merge, working
on them with a three-way diff application:
- the minor branch that was to be merged back to the main development
branch;
- the development branch (before the merge);
- the merge result (to be committed to the development branch);
- and the starting point of the minor branch, for reference -- this can
help catching merge errors from the previous merges from the main
development branch to the minor branch.

Gerhard