[cvsnt] Re: why .doc, .xml, .dll files are readed as binary and .html, .asp file is treated as text

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 1 09:13:32 BST 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:29:45 +0530, "Sabahat Adil Imam"
<sabadil at perfexa.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Why .doc,.xml,.dll files are readed as binary and .html,.asp file
>is treated as text in CVSNT.How we can relate them with each other
>in CVSNT.What part of code made CVSNTdecide that this is binary
>or text file.
>Please help me soon.I will be thankful to you.

The reason .doc and .dll files are treated as binary is that they
*are* binary!
.html, .asp and .xml are text and should be handled as text. You are
implying that you have .xml files that are treated as binary, which is
incorrect.

On the oter hand you have full control yourself on how to "treat" a
file in CVS (and CVSNT) because at the time you add a file to a CVS
repository you (yourself) tell CVS how to treat it. If you add the
file as text then it will be treated as text and all line endings
inside the file will be converted depending on from where a checkout
command is received. If you add the file as binary it will not be
converted at all it will just be sent back and forth between server
and client without changes. But this also means that Concurrent use is
no longer possible because binary file edits cannot be merged across
developers...

If you experience the treatment problem when you "cvs import" a set of
files then you have to modify the server side CVSROOT/cvswrappers file
and define the types of te files you are using that CVS imports as the
wrong type.

Modifying any CVSROOT file requires you to first check out the CVSROOT
module, then edit the file and then committing the edits back to the
server. *Never* directly edit the CVSROOT files!

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)