[cvsnt] Migrating Repository

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Thu May 4 12:48:00 BST 2006

> From: Durumeric, Zakir B
> We are trying to move a CVS repository from one raid to another on one
> of our servers. Is there a set of instructions somewhere on how a move
> like this would be performed or can anyone offer some
> information about
> what is involved in this type of move?

If you've used a repository prefix (or modern equivalent depending on
version) for the repository, it should be no worse than:

- Stop your developers accessing the server during the move;

- Copy the files to the destination, preserving ACLs and ownership if
you use Windows permissions to secure your repository;

- Change the repository prefix to point to the new location of the
repository;

- Test;

- Allow your developers access to the repository;

- Once you're sure it's working, delete the old files.  If you have to
revert before that point, simply change the prefix back.

		- Peter