[cvsnt] ViewVC 1.0.0 and CVSNT 2.5.03.2260 cooperation

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Mon May 8 15:48:00 BST 2006

Hello list,

some time ago I tried to setup a connection between ViewVC and CVSNT
on different machines (Posting "ViewVC and CVSNT on different
machines"). I wanted to use the RCS-wrappers and came across the
problem that they assume local access to the repository.

To solve the problem I now have setup a new server running both
components under Ubuntu Linux. Installation could have been easier,
but it now converges to a good and clean solution. (I documented my
steps so I can make them available as soon as everything's ready)

Good solution? Wait a moment. There is still a problem with
ViewVC. Going through it's installation I first noticed that it offers
native support of calling CVSNT instead of the RCS-Tools. This sounds
like an alternative to the RCS-wrappers to me which should be
mentioned somewhere.

But when I access the ViewVC pages of the migrated repository, I still
get the same Python exceptions than before with the RCS 5.7 tools over
the read-only network mount using different machines, no matter if I use

a) the rcs-wrappers

b) ViewVC's native support for CVSNT.

(I checked that there is *no* old RCS on this machine. When looking at
the top output I clearly see that cvs(nt)-processes are handling the
rcs-tasks.)

As ViewVC does not announce "official" CVSNT support on their website
(but in the viewvc.conf file...) and I only find vague information on
ViewCVS / ViewVC integration in the CVSNT Wiki pages, could someone
please describe a working setup for me? Even if it's not ViewVC,
please point me to a repository browser capable of working together
with CVSNT 2.5.03 (...under Linux - I don't want to go back).

Suggestions and help are very much appreciated.

Best regards,
O. Koltermann