[cvsnt] CVSNT and Active Directory/LDAP

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Sep 2 20:51:04 BST 2008

Ganesh,

> 1) Is there a documentation or manual available which
> explains in detail
> about authentication via Microsoft Active directory/LDAP for CVSNT
> server?.

As Dries pointed out the manual (sections especially remote repositories
& sspi) is the best place to begin.  If you have specific questions
after reading this then ask again but be more specific in your
questions.

> 2) We are also looking for a guide that would explain in
> detail about the
> Migration steps from CVS to CVSNT. We would want to know how
> easy/difficult it is.

There is none, you just "point" cvsnt at your repository and you are
done.  Well actually there are quite a few steps you can do, but since
at this point I believe you are evaluating then this will do the job.
Note: when CVSNT opens a CVS repository it will migrate it and that is a
'one way' operation so it is best performed on a 'copy' of the CVS
repository while you are evaluating.

> 3) Please provide us the changes/modifications needed for the
> current set
> up
> to authenticate against Active directory/LDAP using CVSNT.

Since #2 above you say that you have not installed CVSNT then there is
nothing to modify.  Install CVSNT first then try it.  As I've pointed
out on the 'nongnu CVS' mailing list, there are two approaches - either
'real' SSPI or hooking up pserver and AD using LDAP/PAM.  This page will
help in the configuring of LDAP/PAM but setting up SSPI is a little bit
more difficult (this doco is a bit old and very linux specific, but just
ignore the bits not about PAM):
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationLinux

Information about setting up winbind/SSPI on Linux/Unix/Solaris is very
thin on the ground (it's all in the commercial manual, but in the open
source version you are limited to the 'free' documentation that other
users have submitted), but once you've got the above working and
installed we can come back to that.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett