[evs] EVS modular archtecture / expandability

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Sat Feb 10 20:39:08 GMT 2007

Tony -- Had a thought from a discussion going on the CVSNT list now.
Will EVS be able to have plugins added or commands 'expanded' such that
the diff command can be expanded to have custom handlers?  For example
Word docs, but even broader for other specific binary file types.

This could enable us to leverage the WinMerge diff binaries in a
different context, the command line diff command.  Granted it wouldn't
apply to patches or merging, but would make viewing diffs more
accessible to things like notification email, issue tracking
integration, and of course the (humble) command line users.

I know you talked about the expandability in terms of adding new
commands -- I suppose this could be done as a custom command but that
might not allow for the issue tracking / notification email stuff.

I also know it could absolutely kill server performance, but the
advantages of seeing the essence of changes in convenient context could
be worth it.... and of course it wouldn't have to be turned on.

... and there is a good argument about the 'essence of change' being
captured in the message.

OK, so this is a theoretical question then -- can you extend and expand
individual commands, or would a replacement be more in order, and can it
be done?

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett
Technical Account Manager, North America

http://march-hare.com/cvspro/