[evs] Current status

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.local
Sun Jan 14 01:17:35 GMT 2007

Kelly F. Hickel wrote:
> it's not set currently.  An unpatched cvs 1.12 would ignore the branches
> that had been created with a CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM value, one with the
> current patch would choose the highest unused value.  There's some
> question as to which is correct.  If the old behavior is what you want,

We've always been clear - RCS version numbers (and therefore branch
numbers) are internally generated server data.

Whatever scheme is used, as long as it still fits within the general
and branch is normally an even number greater than zero) so that
frontends can still graph it etc. then it could be random for all we
care (and if it's faster to randomise it then feel free to do so).