[evs] Branching on commit, merge documentation

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Sep 5 12:43:05 BST 2007

Gerhard,

> Another is the merge documentation. We have that already partially with
> the
> merge points, but this could go a bit further and also include the start
> and end of two-point merges. This is information one has to track anyway,
> so why not have the version control system track it, by storing all end
> points of merges?

How is this different to what CVSNT already does?

As for "branch and commit" a GUI wrapper like TCVS could easily do that
already with CVSNT:
cvs tag -b funny-branch-auto-name current-module-name
cvs up -r funny-branch-auto-name
cvs ci -m "message"

TCVS already has some functions that combines several CVSNT commands to
produce one result, so it would seem to me that TCVS (or another GUI) would
be the better target for such a feature...

How would making this "one command" be significantly better?  What business
problem does this solve?

Regards,

Arthur