[cvsnt-dev] Re: Suggestion for CVS edit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat Jun 26 00:32:59 BST 2004

Julian Brierley wrote:

> My experimental code, which is a hack of a recent snapshot of
> CVSNT_2_0_x, seems to show such an approach is feasible although there
> are many scenarios still to test.
>
> Does anyone have any views on the desirability of such a change? Have I
> overlooked something? Are there any better approaches?

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

The biggest problem is that the clients expect the edit information to be
global.  Edit -c also is a simple check to see if 'editors' returns any
output... it'd have to be much more complex for tag/branch support.

It'd probably be best to junk the existing fileattr format and start again
with a new one (it has other problems eg. you can't edit a file with '+' in
the filename).  As long as the client/server communication is compatible then
that shouldn't cause any problems.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917