[cvsnt-dev] Re: Next build issue on Solaris

Richard Wirth r.wirth at wirthware.de
Fri Feb 11 14:42:39 GMT 2005

Hello Tony,

--- shnipp ---
>> TH> AFAIK it would have to be a static build (which doesn't currently work).
>>
>> Why? Even the older Solaris versions support shared libraries. So it
>> should work on old platforms as well...

TH> I read somewhere that shared libraries don't work with cross compilers -
TH> which makes sense since you can't set the paths correctly as you're not
TH> on the target system.

That's only true when pathes have to be encoded at compile time. For
systems like linux and solaris, the linker determines the libs at load
time (solaris uses crle like ldconfig on linux).
So the cross build succeeds for solaris (at least in this case).
The only problem is, my cross compiler is  gcc 3.4.4. And it uses
libstdc++.so.6 which is only pressent if the appropriate package is
installed on the target system... But that's another story.

BTW. Why do you intend to switch to LGPL for cvsnt (in whole?)?

--
Best regards,
 Richard                            mailto:r.wirth at wirthware.de