[cvsnt-dev] Solaris x86

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Wed Nov 29 19:18:55 GMT 2006

Brian Hicks wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:20:21 -0500, David Somers <dsomers at omz13.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So libtool is bitchin' that /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.la is bad... did you
>> upgrade your compiler without upgrading/recompiling its support
>> libraries?
>
> I'm using a fresh install of Solaris 10u2 (6/06). I used smpatch to
> upgrade the system with the latest patches. /usr/sfw comes with the system
> and I haven't touched it, other than to symlink a few files (i.e. gmake to
> make, gar to ar, etc.) so things get found properly. I did notice a funny
> message during configure that looked like this:
>
> checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/ccs/bin/ld
>
> Why doesn't it use /usr/sfw/bin/ld? /usr/ccs/bin isn't even in my PATH.

It depends how the autoconf stuff does its magic... IIRC it searches for
things in specific locations, which may or may not include $PATH... you'll
have to dig itno the autoconf files to see exactly what is being looked for
and where.

>> There have been some changes made to the build files, and those changes
>> are
>> in the latest testing... backporting fixes to latest commercial doesn't
>> happen, so that's why its always a good idea to check latest testing to
>> see
>> if things that were broke have been fixed.
>
> Again, there's a sparc package for this version, so it MUST be possible to
> build in Solaris.

Very probably... but not many people have Sparc hardware (I haven't touched
any for about a decade!).

> the x86 version is close enough that the same build
> process should be replicateable. Solaris 10 is backwards compatible with
> Solaris 8, too, so that shouldn't be the issue. But my build environment
> might be way off. I don't believe Sun makes any guarantees about the GNU
> software shipped with Solaris.

It does sound like the version of GCC toolchain and libstdc++ are
out-of-sync...

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever