[cvsnt-dev] timestamp in history file and rlog command

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon May 7 12:55:43 BST 2007

Jens Miltner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is the timestamp in the history file written as GMT or as local time?

Everything internally in cvsnt is GMT (well, UTC actually).  Output is
generally UTC unless the command supports an option to switch to local
time (log -T, etc.)

Date parameters are local time historically.

This is unchanged from standard CVS.. from the cvs manual
(http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.19/cvs_16.html#SEC117)

"The date is interpreted as being in the local timezone, unless a
specific timezone is specified."

> The reason I'm asking is that I'm using cvstrac (http://www.cvstrac.org)
> to track cvs commits, but every now and then cvstrac will fail to
> retrieve the commit information, basically because rlog won't list any
> commits in the time window requested.

That's a very inefficient way of doing it - rlog is about the slowest
(and most memory inneficient) command it's possible to execute as it
requires parsing the entire rcs file for each file it references.  OK
for a single user but I really wouldn't recommend using that when more
than one user is using the system.

You could probably achieve what you want with audit and/or the email
plugins.  Failing that a simple commitinfo/loginfo script.