[cvsnt-dev] Is there way to debug CVS server from within VS2003 editor?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Feb 12 06:58:55 GMT 2008

Eric,

> As an aside, for what it's worth, hopefully you will take this as
> constructive criticism from a new guy looking at the cvs code for the
> first time; personally, I find the code severely lacking comments.

There are two schools of thought on comments in code:
1) they distract from the code and the comments/documentation should be in
the SCM system
2) they help you understand what the point of the code is and can be
extracted from the code for documentation (javadoc).

> I hope that given that EVS is a brand new application, you have given
> yourselves enough time to document it in order to make it easier to
> maintain and develop down the road.

Ease of maintenance is more related to good/clear design than good
documentation.

A huge difference the SVN and OpenCVS team's thniking and Tony and my own
way of thinking is that 'evolution' beats 'rewriting'.  So EVS has evolved
from CVSNT 2.6 which in turn evolved from CVSNT 2.5 - now in that process
the spaghetti has mostly been exhumed - but the roots/origins are still
visible.

After clear design I think the next most important thing to helping keep an
application maintainable is to have a team of developers who know it. We'd
need a lot more paying cusotmers (or volunteers) to write clear specs and
then keep it up to date with development.

Regards,

Arthur