[cvsnt-dev] Is there way to debug CVS server from within VS2003 editor?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Feb 12 20:08:25 GMT 2008

Eric B. wrote:
> As an aside, for what it's worth, hopefully you will take this as
> constructive criticism from a new guy looking at the cvs code for the first
> time; personally, I find the code severely lacking comments.  I know cvs is
> something that has pretty much mushroomed into what it is today, but I find
> it difficult and tedious to understand how the logic is working and what it
> is trying to accomplish.  The few areas that do have comments significantly
> improve and accelerate the process.  I hope that given that EVS is a brand
> new application, you have given yourselves enough time to document it in
> order to make it easier to maintain and develop down the road.

Feel free to add extra comments if you find something particularly
confusing.  I try to make code easy to follow on its own - for my own
sake if nothing else.. and do throw comments in where I've done
something non-obvious.

The old cvs code (basically all of cvs.exe) is something like 15 years
old and has few comments, and I do write extra ones occasionally.. but
mostly leave it alone unless I'm rewriting a bit to fit in with the evs API.

I share your frustration with some of the logic - the recursion parser
is practically a Mensa IQ test (and was the first thing I ripped out on
evs).

The API needs documenting.. we run doxygen across the headers but I'm
really bad at getting around to putting the right comments in, so very
little has actually got any formal documentation. Documentation is where
I generally fail..  Arthur is great at the installation/configuration
documentation - there's a hole in the middle where the API needs someone
to go over it, ask me difficult/embarrasing questions* as necessary and
write documentation stuff in the headers (doxygen or whatever else
works.. even javadoc if it'll parse .h files).

Tony

* Like, 'why does this function take 6 parameters that all do the same
thing?'