[cvsnt-dev] Help using a manual build of cvs

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:31:28 BST 2009

> Better to keep this discussion on the newsgroup - do you mind if I repost it there?

Actually, I accidentally hit reply on the previous msg from the list and it went straight to you instead of to the list.  So I reposted it to the list and it is waiting for moderator approval (exceeded max post length).

> Testing cvsservice with -test is a little tricky because SYSTEM is the account with all the privileges for

> switching user context.  Generally when I run cvsservice -test I only 'test' my own account, but I

> vaguely recall that even being a little difficult.  The cvsservice is pretty simple and hasn't required

> debugging for years.  If you really think cvssevice has a bug you can run it up as a service and

> 'break into' it (use 'debug->processes->attach) from the debugger once it's already running with the correct privs.

I highly doubt there is something with cvsservice; I'm more convinced it is something in my setup that is wrong, but without additional debug info, I really don't know where to look.  Is cvsservice -test not the right way to test out the cvs server?  I kind of expected it to work out of the box, to be honest, and when it didn't I started getting frustrated due to the lack of information.  The error msg is so vague, I'm not sure if it is a client/server communication problem, or if it is actually and authentication problem.  I tried looking into the code to see where that magic happens, but didn't really have much luck there either.

Any suggestions what I can try / look to get it working?  Or what/how would be a good procedure to set up a test repo/environment?

Thanks,

Eric