[Cvsnt] Timestamp of files from checkout

Peter Yamamoto pyamamoto at blueshiftinc.com
Wed Dec 12 03:50:17 GMT 2001

Sigh, we are evaluating version control software and it is surprisingly
at how many, how to put it, "broken", workflow issues that people think
they need in the replacement (for cvs, sorry guys!-) software.

File date preservation being one of them. Yes, it CAN be useful, but is
it at all reliable, NO.

I agree, the "best" default behaviour is for it to set the filestamp to
the checkout time so that build tools can recognize it as "new". This in
itself is not foolproof, but better than checking out a new *version* of
a file, doing a build, and not seeing anything happen.

BUT to get back on topic...

What we have also seen, is that some of this software, as well as MSDev,
are prone to seeing files as instantly "modified" after a checkout: as
soon as you get an update it then shows up as modified. In some cases,
this is because of (viral) Antivirus software, live backup software,
possibly a time synchrnoization issue between server and client, or in
some cases, still a mystery.

It may actually be happening to this person, but the thing changing the
filestamp may not be CVS.

Peter