[Cvsnt] differences between loginfo and notify handling

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Dec 13 19:42:38 GMT 2001

I have just gotten my meil notification working and I have discovered
that it does not really work as I had hoped. Here is what I see:

1. NOTIFY
Whenever some people set watches on files in a module they will be
notified for edit, unedit and commit operations. If a commit is made
on a module where say 15 files are modified and thus committed it
looks like CVS will look separately in the notify file for *each* such
file. And if there are multiple watchers for the file CVS will invoke
the command line in notify once for each such user. So given 5
watchers then there will be 15 * 5 emails sent out, each one to a
single watcher instead of a set of watchers....
The net effect is that the notify command is run 75 times in this
case, which causes some considerable time delay.
Why can't CVS put all watchers on a file into the command line of the
notify command? Then it would be easy to add these users to the To
field of a single email and reduce the above 17 invocations to 15.

2. LOGINFO
When using the loginfo file I noted that for a module like the one
described above CVS calls loginfo only once. But if the modified files
span several subdirectories to the main module directory then CVS will
fie once for each such directory so that multiple emails are created.
Is it possible to get CVS to compile all of the files into a single
invocatioon of loginfo so that there can be one email only?

Has anyone else alreday solved this perhaps?

WATCH settings
Is there any way to specify for which condition a watch should
trigger? I would like it to go off for edit and unedit but not for
commit, since loginfo will handle the commits. I can only find
reference to [all, commit, edit, none, unedit] as actions, but not how
to set edit+unedit.
WinCvs does not give any of these options. :-(