[Cvsnt] How to make notify/watch work on CVS-NT??

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Sep 4 22:39:10 BST 2001

I need to activate email notification on changes in the repository (on
request by the developers, myself included).
I have looked in the CVS documentation and I have found that the CVS
standard way to notify me if someone commits a change to a file would
be enough. What I need to do is set a "watch" on a file and then just
wait.

But of course I have to set up CVS-NT so that it is able to react on
the watch if it triggers. First thing seems to be to edit the notify
file and remove the comment on the last line. This should in theory
activate email.
But I have not found any clues so far as to *how* email is actually
handled by CVS-NT. In our case we have a firewall protected network
and there is a single mail server (Exchange 5.5) on one of the
servers. It is protected by all kinds of restrictions and will not
allow relaying of email.
CVS-NT runs on an dedicated W2000 server, which is only running the
CVS-NT service apart from whatever MS has put there in the server
install. Oh yes, I have IIS5 running too so that I can have CVSWeb for
browsing.
But I assume that somehow CVS-NT must be told where to turn to in
order to send email? So where and how do I configure the Exchange
server name/IP and the mailserver login data in CVS-NT????

TIA