[Cvsnt] Error reading from server localhost: -1 (CVS 1.11.1.3 - Build 57c)

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Apr 26 23:59:11 BST 2002

OK,
so you have a Thinkpad = laptop computer.
Also you are running W2000 Server
Probably you are testing CVSNT locally on your laptop, right?
And when you do this you are not connected to any network either?

If I am right on the above items then I know what has happened. W2000
has unloaded the whole TCP/IP networking stack from your PC! It does
this as soon as the network cable is unplugged from the connector! I
found this out the hard way. When this happens all TCP/IP related
functionality vaporizes completely.
You can check if this is the case by running ipconfig on a command
prompt. If the stack has been unloaded then you will see an error
message.

Partial solution:
I installed the Microsoft Loopback adapter in order to stop this from
happening. This adapter is bound to TCP/IP and therefore since it
never vanishes the stack stays loaded and all is fine on my laptop
CVSNT-wise even when the network cable is unplugged.

/Bo

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)