[Cvsnt] cvs [checkout aborted]: k:\: no such repository

Richard Willis rwillis at ctf.com
Mon Apr 29 23:29:07 BST 2002

Hi all,

I am trying to get an NT (Win2K) CVS server running on a Domain server
(problem?) box. Bo's Install FAQ was followed very closely (BTW, the FAQ
does not mention 'cvs init', is this covered somewhere else?) The
repository is located on a drive letter (K) at K:\cvs. The CVSROOT file
seems to be there... (I used 'cvs init' to create it.). I am not sure
what authentication is running, or how to determine this. Let's say the
server is Deathstar. So I (on another station, using WinCVS or COMMAND
LINE) try to login to this server, and this is what happens...

WINCVS

cvs checkout -P test (in directory C:\)
cvs [checkout aborted]: k:\cvs: no such repository

The authentication used was sspi. There is a test directory in the cvs
rep. It was put there using the services applet as per the directions in
Bo's newsletter.

WinCVS is setup as follows:
    Authentication        sspi
    Path                       K:\cvs
    Host Address         Deathstar
    Username               (*)
    CVSROOT           Deathstar:k:\cvs

Note: Username can be left blank or is set to my login id, if it is set,
then the result is
    cvs checkout -P test (in directory C:\)
    cvs [checkout aborted]: : Authentication failed
If my name is left blank, I get this:
    cvs checkout -P test (in directory C:\)
    cvs [checkout aborted]: j:\cvs: no such repository

With authentication set to 'ntserver', I get the same result as I do
with sspi & no username (see above).

COMMAND LINE

The command line is giving me different errors. This is two attempts via
command line;

C:\GNU\CVS_Sandboxen\DeathstarTest>cvs -d :sspi:deathstar:k:/cvs co .
cvs checkout: unknown method in CVSroot: :sspi:deathstar:k:/cvs
cvs [checkout aborted]: Bad CVSROOT.

C:\GNU\CVS_Sandboxen\DeathstarTest>cvs -d :ntserver:deathstar:k:/cvs co
.
cvs checkout: unknown method in CVSroot: :ntserver:deathstar:k:/cvs
cvs [checkout aborted]: Bad CVSROOT.

my CVSROOT env var is :
    cvsroot=:sspi:deathstar:/cvs , for sspi-auth
    cvsroot=:ntserver:deathstar:/cvs, for ntserver

It seems as if the NT cvs server does not recognize that K:\cvs exists.
Anyone know what the problem could be?

Notes:
(1) I put a question mark beside the Domain Server reference, as I was
told by my admin that this server does not have local login ID's for
anyone (except admin). I do not know if this is an issue or not.

(2) The CVS Server is the latest V1.11.1.3, latest build as of  Apr
29/2002
(3) WinCVS is 1.3.8.1. Beta 8

Thanks in advance for any feedback ...

 - Richard