[cvsnt] Manually renaming files

Gavin Kinsey gavin.kinsey at accutest.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 10:08:00 BST 2002

Oliver Giesen wrote:
>>>The correct way to rename a file is:
>>>
>>>cvs delete <oldfile>
>>>cvs add <newfile>
>>
>>Which means you lose the revision history, precisley what I
>>want to avoid.
>
> No, you don't lose the revision history. It's simply that the revision
> history is broken up (before and after the rename).

Okay, perhaps lose was the wrong word.  It does make it significantly
more difficult to view the complete history of the file though.

> This way you could
> still return to an earlier state of the project, where the file still
> has the old name. Remember that there might be dependencies on that
> file (and therefore its filename) in other files from the same point
> in time.

However, in this case there are no dependancies on the files in
question.  If there were then the filenames would have been corrected
before they got into cvs as the developers use cvs a lot and know about
the naming conventions.

I have not looked at any of the admin commands as I'm not set as an
administrator yet.  Another thing that should be corrected by the
upgrades today :-).

Hopefully this should be a one time deal, I'm going to put Bo Berglund's
CVSMailer on and so should be notified of any problem filenames as soon
as they appear.  Then it can be corrected simply by removing/re-adding
before any revision history has been created :-).