[cvsnt] :ntserver: deprecation

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Wed Aug 7 12:23:03 BST 2002

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 12:09:17 +0100, Francis Irving
<francis.irving at creaturelabs.com> wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>Just found out from some TortoiseCVS users that :ntserver: is
>deprecated in more recent versions of CVSNT.  Can you tell me:

It's only properly depreciated in the development nightlies, which
nobody should be using if they value their data...  It's depreciated
in the release only in the sense that I don't encourage using it
(since it's going away).

>- Which version of CVSNT on the server side people need to upgrade to
>to get SSPI support there.

I thnik somewhere around build 55 or so, but really they should be
using 57f (or g when I get the time to release it).

>- Why SSPI is better than ntserver (so I can put some text in the FAQ
>to stop people being totally annoyed).

It goes over the standard CVS port 2401 not port 139, so it can be
used across the internet.
It supports encryption, so is a good secure replacement for pserver.
You can log into remote domains, or as any user (however it can just
be used like ntserver and it'll just take the defaults).