[cvsnt] cvs authentication issues

Khaled Agrama kagrama at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 14 00:33:23 BST 2002

I just set up a CVSNT server running build 57f.  I am using pserver
authentication.  I have set up my passwd file so that it has user names
aliased to real nt domain users.  I have preceded the domain user names with
the domain name, ie:

cvs-user:encrypted-password:domain\real-user

Most of the time everything works fine.  But intermittently when one of the
users tries to issue a command, they get the following message:

Fatal error, aborting.
domain\real-user: no such user
cvs login: authorization failed: server cvsserver rejected access to
/cvsrepos for user cvs-user

Where domain, real-user, cvsserver, and cvs-user correspond to the domain
name, domain user name, cvs server name, and cvs user name, respectively.
This has happened to several users and the problem seems to go away by
itself a few minutes later.  I don't know how to reliably reproduce it.

Any clue as to what might be happening?

Thanks in advance!

Khaled