[cvsnt] Re: Installing cvsnt under Redhat Linux 7.1

Gerhard Stegemann GStegemann at csi.com
Fri Aug 16 10:17:39 BST 2002

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nothing-on.tv> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ajei2g$ra$1 at sisko.nothing-on.tv

> > One other question: is there some documentation about the linux
> > cvsnt config files?
>
> Basically in the /etc/inetd.conf you use 'cvs authserver' rather than
> 'cvs pserver', otherwise configuration is identical (I'm working on
> putting some settings in /etc/cvsnt but that isn't implemented in this
> release).

OK.

> > Maybe an rpm guru can have an eye on this package to review it.
>
> A proper .spec file would allow me to build a proper RPM, but since I
> can't actually test it it'll have to be someone else that does it.

With the help of Boyd Meier I could install his version of the i686 RPM
package. He already created a working version of the .spec file for this
package.

But one problem is still around.

| But trying to run the client failed, because it couldn't
| connect to a server. I tried connected via pserver to a CVSNT
| server running under Windows NT and also under Linux. In both
| case the client just sat there and was waiting for a response.
| After re-installing the cvs-1.11.1.p1 package everything is
| fine again.

I evaluated this a little bit more. And what happens is, that the
CVSNT client needs several seconds to complete a command. Thereby
it doesn't matter if I connect to a remote or the local CVSNT server.

  [stegeman at igs-srv2 ~]$ setenv
  [...]
  CVSROOT=:pserver:stegeman at localhost:/devel/cvsroot
  [stegeman at igs-srv2 ~]$ cvs login
  Logging in to :pserver:stegeman at localhost:2401/devel/cvsroot
  CVS password:
  [stegeman at igs-srv2 ~]$ cvs ve
  Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Build 57g)
(client/server)
  Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Build 57g)
(client/server)
  [stegeman at igs-srv2 ~]$

Just a simple version command needs about 15 seconds. And the CPU idle time
is
about 97 %. And there seems to be not network problem, since other things
run
fine.

And if I connect from a remote client, e.g. from a windows client, to this
linux
box cvs commands are completed instantly. So the server part is not causing
the
delays.

Any ideas what's happening here? Maybe a DNS reverse lookup problem?

--
Gerhard Stegemann