AW: [cvsnt] CVS can't see file in archive

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Thu Aug 22 14:48:50 BST 2002

Yesterday I wrote:

> We're running cvsnt on Windows 2000 (about a half-dozen developers
> on a single project).  We switched over from RCS a little under a
> year ago, and we've mostly not had any problems we can't figure out.
> Yesterday we ran into a problem which we haven't seen before and
> which has us baffled.  One of the developers has a sandbox for one
> of the directories in the repository, and one of the files in that
> directory is named CdrPublish.cpp.  The CVS repository has that file
> in it. If any of us invokes cvs checkout for that directory to
> create a new sandbox that file is included.  But this developer's
> sandbox does not know about the file: the CVS/Entries file does not
> list the file.

Christian Manhart responded:

> Maybe
>
> http://www.geocities.com/robm351/faq/index-29.html
> Section "Adding/Removing Files"
>
> can help ?

And Tony Hoyle added:

> The best guess I have is that the developer has checked out with a
> 'sticky' tag, and that file isn't part of that tag.  Does 'cvs
> update -A' make the file appear?

Thanks, gentlemen, for your suggestions.  The behavior turned out to
have been caused by the presence of the file CVS/Entries.Static.  In
fact, the developer's recollection is that he *did* check out a specific
version of one of the other files in the directory.  However, that
does not explain the presence of the CVS/Entries.Static file.  Checking
out a specific version of a file leaves the sticky tag in the Entries
file, as you (Tony) say, but does not create the CVS/Entries.Static
file.  So now we know why cvs was not picking up CdrPublish.cpp.  And we
know how to correct that problem.  But we're still not sure how we got
to the state which caused the problem in the first place.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline at rksystems.com
http://www.rksystems.com