[cvsnt] Using CVSNT with repository on SAMBA drive

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 28 19:43:29 BST 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:35:15 -0700, "David McAvoy"
<David.McAvoy at PerComm.com> wrote:

>Hi Bo,
>
>Thanks for the comments!
>
>I agree, it's not necessary to backup working copies
>if developers are consistent in committing or
>checkpointing changes back to the repository on a
>regular basis.
>
>I was concerned about the repository itself and how
>moving critical data from the standard file server onto
>a stand alone PC reduces the consistency and ease
>of administration of the backup and file system
>solution.
>
>By the way, I meant to say "fork", instead of "exec"...
>Oops!
>
>Thanks,
>  David.

Regarding backups on the repository server there is no need for worry.
Standard procedures apply, like giving the Backup account priviliges
on the repository folders and possibly having the OpenFileOption
active (if using BackupExec). But the CVS repository is a rather
simple file system structure and as such can be easily handled by the
backup systems. If your setup is non-global then you can easily set up
a nightly time spot when there will be noone committing any work
too...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)