[cvsnt] Re: Linux/Win32 client's and Win2k server

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Fri Aug 30 14:36:43 BST 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:22:29 +0100, Luke Guest
<lguest at .nospam.bubball.com> wrote:

>Now, the problems I see are:
>
>1) CRLF/LF. Can VC++ handle LF (I tried, but it died on the DSP's) so I'm
>   thinking that the code can be, but not the DSP's (possibly import those
>   as binary??). It would be easier to have all source in one format - LF,
>   so GCC doesn't die.

You should be checking out the files on the platform that they are
going to be used on.  The Windows cvs clients automatically put CR/LF
pairs in the text files as they are checked out.  The Unix clients
just use LF.

>2) Filenames. If I import a file, say, "Monkey.cpp" if I then update on a
>   file called "monkey.cpp" will they be considered different files or the
>   same?

It's not a good idea to have the same name with different case.  Win32
clients will treat these as the same file. and Unix clients will treat
them as different.  The server is similar - the NT server will treat
them as the same file and the Unix server will treat them as
different.  So you get confusion in any kind of mixed environment.

>So, essentially, is it better to run the server on a Linux box or Win32?

It doesn't really matter...  it depends mostly on your in-house
experience and how your network is set up (backup procedures, etc.)

On Unix the 'standard' cvs is most stable (cvsnt is supported but
isn't as well tested, although the cvsnt.org cvs server is actually a
cvsnt server hosted on Linux so it's quite safe to use).  On NT only
cvsnt is really useable.

>Also, what *can* the loginfo be used for? I have been looking around and
>have seen that this is not supported in the NT version (so I read), but
>just before we commit ;-) to one platform over the other, can I have a few
>examples of what it is used for?

loginfo works fine on cvsnt (where did you read it didn't?).
commitinfo and loginfo can be used together to provide email
notification of checkins - the support.cvsnt-commits newsgroup is
generated by such a script.