[cvsnt] Linux/Win32 client's and Win2k server

Luke Guest lguest at .nospam.bubball.com
Fri Aug 30 14:22:29 BST 2002

Hi,

I was just wondering, are there any gotcha's that need to be taken into
consideration when using a CVS server on a Win32 machine and mixed platform
clients?

We're *going* to move to CVS from VSS. We have been using VC++/VSS and will
continue to use VC++, but we are also using Linux now and require accessing
the code from both platforms.

Now, the problems I see are:

1) CRLF/LF. Can VC++ handle LF (I tried, but it died on the DSP's) so I'm
   thinking that the code can be, but not the DSP's (possibly import those
   as binary??). It would be easier to have all source in one format - LF,
   so GCC doesn't die.

2) Filenames. If I import a file, say, "Monkey.cpp" if I then update on a
   file called "monkey.cpp" will they be considered different files or the
   same?

So, essentially, is it better to run the server on a Linux box or Win32?

Also, what *can* the loginfo be used for? I have been looking around and
have seen that this is not supported in the NT version (so I read), but
just before we commit ;-) to one platform over the other, can I have a few
examples of what it is used for?

Thanks,
Luke.

Edit my email address before replying.