[cvsnt] What causes this error message???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Sat Aug 31 08:02:52 BST 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:55:32 GMT, tmh at nothing-on.tv (Tony Hoyle)
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:57:03 +0200, Bo Berglund
><bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:
>
>>Tony,
>>I never saw a reply to this message. Still unresolved and appears on
>>all workstations (W2000-Pro) where we switch to the newset version
>>using this procedure:
>>1) Install WinCvs latest release using the installer
>>2) Copy in cvs.exe and all the protocol dll:s from CVSNT 57g to the
>>WinCvs directory
>>When we connect as before to our CVSNT server all works OK in existing
>>sandboxes, no problem.
>>Except when douing the cvs ls command WinCvs hangs and wne stopped
>>finally returns the message below.
>>If I run the cvs ls command and at the same time watch the cvstemp and
>>cvslocks dir on the server I can see that CVSNT creates a very strange
>>directory named "ut over the entire source repository".
>>
>I can't repeat this... it seems an odd thing to happen.  I've probably
>not got the latest WinCVS (I have b8) though.  I'll try to get a later
>version and see what I can find.
>
>Tony

I have some more info now:
I have set up my new W2K test server at home to publish port 2401 via
the DSL firewall. Then from my summer house I used the laptop to
connect via sspi to this CVSNT server.
Now, would you believe, this server works OK when trying the cvs ls
command after I log in...
- CVSNT server installed from your setup 57g on two W2000 servers
- cvs ls command fails on one server and CVSNT creates a strange temp
dir with a name that is part of the error message... <- clue?
- cvs ls command works OK on other server(s)
- cvs ls works also OK on first server when invoked from a laptop that
has the development system installed so it can compile both cvsnt and
wincvs.

How can the client affect the way the server executes a command????