[cvsnt] Latest Updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Fri Aug 30 15:57:37 BST 2002

cvsnt 1.11.1.3 57h

Mostly this release is so I can push the lock server into production
here (as we need it).  Some bug fixes.  Made the Unix version execute
commands via the shell like it used to.

The Lock server is a separate service/daemon that keeps track of the
current locks on the repository.  To use it set a line if
CVSROOT/config that says 'LockServer=<server>[:port]' (normally you'd
run the server on the same machine as the cvsnt server so
'LockServer=localhost' will do fine).  Remove any LockDir lines.

It defaults to port 2402, which shouldn't clash with anything (you can
change it with the control panel). It's designed to be firewalled (you
wouldn't normally access it across the internet) and there's no
security at the moment - I'll add that later.

You can monitor what the server is doing by telnetting into it and
typing 'monitor'.  The output is designed to be parsed by some
(future) software but can be quite interesting to watch on a busy
server.

In theory it's impossible to get dangling locks - the locks are all
automatically removed if the client exits even if it crashes horribly.

At some point I'll document the protocol but it's extremely simple
(it's actually documented in comments in the source at the moment).