[cvsnt] Problems with LockServer

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Dec 4 16:29:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:47:45 +0100, Alberto Barbati
<abarbati at ubisoft.it> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using CVSNT build 62 and having hard time with the LockServer.
>Apparently randomly, locks are not released. Chances increase if someone
>performs a recursive operation that involve a large number of files. When it
>happens, even the user who allegedly owns the lock is unable to perform any
>operation. Usually, stopping and restarting the LockServer fixed the
>problem, but it just now got worse... I am now getting the message

LockServer is designed to get around this, and will release locks
immediately the server process dies.

It's possible that the servers are taking a long time to clear the
temporary directories after the connection has finished.  This could
happen if you had Temp on a slow or network drive, especially if you
committed large numbers of files.

We have 50+ developers commiting constantly and haven't had a stray
lock since switching to LockServer.