[cvsnt] Re: Creating an empty directory in the source tree.

Jim Hyslop jhyslop at ieee.org
Wed Dec 4 16:30:27 GMT 2002

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Luke Guest wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to create an empty directory in a source tree? We used to
>>do this in VSS but I don't know how to do it with CVS; is there a sticky
>>flag or something?
>>
>>We have imported one as a module, but unless there's a file in it, it
>>can't be checked out.
>>

> CVS versions files, not directories.  You have to put at least one file in
> the directory to check it out.
Not in my experience ;-)

I just tested this, and had no problems creating and checking out empty
directories:

D:\files\cvs>cvs co cvs-test-jim-p2
cvs server: Updating proj2

D:\files\cvs>cd proj2

D:\files\cvs\proj2>dir
  Volume in drive D has no label.
  Volume Serial Number is 440B-93A8

  Directory of D:\files\cvs\proj2

12/04/02  11:15a        <DIR>          .
12/04/02  11:15a        <DIR>          ..
12/04/02  11:15a        <DIR>          CVS
                3 File(s)              0 bytes
                           1,065,742,336 bytes free

D:\files\cvs\proj2>md test

D:\files\cvs\proj2>cvs add test
CVS Notifier: No one cares.
Directory /cvs/cvs-test/jhyslop/project2/test added to the repository

D:\files\cvs\proj2>cd ..

D:\files\cvs>cvs release -d proj2
You have [0] altered files in this repository.
Are you sure you want to release (and delete) directory `proj2': y

D:\files\cvs>cvs co cvs-test-jim-p2
cvs server: Updating proj2
cvs server: Updating proj2/test

D:\files\cvs>dir proj2
  Volume in drive D has no label.
  Volume Serial Number is 440B-93A8

  Directory of D:\files\cvs\proj2

12/04/02  11:16a        <DIR>          .
12/04/02  11:16a        <DIR>          ..
12/04/02  11:16a        <DIR>          CVS
12/04/02  11:16a        <DIR>          test
                4 File(s)              0 bytes
                           1,065,738,240 bytes free

D:\files\cvs>cvs --version

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.5 (client)

Copyright (c) 1989-1998 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                         Jeff Polk, and other authors

CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.

Specify the --help option for further information about CVS

D:\files\cvs>

Mind you, I'm using a different version of CVS, not CVSNT (we're using a
Unix server here; I use CVSNT elsewhere).

--
Jim