[cvsnt] [update aborted]: cannot rename file over and over

Lionello Lunesu lionello.lunesu at crystalinter.remove.com
Mon Dec 9 08:14:46 GMT 2002

Hi...

> That's wierd.  It looks like the temporary file that cvs builds the
> checked out revisions in is disappearing in the fraction of a second
> between cvs creating it, and cvs renaming it (the .new. file is built
> on the client).

Is there a way to make that .new. prefix configurable? I'd like to try a
prefix without dots and see if my --ahum-- NORTON antivirus actually ignores
.h and .cpp like I've told it to.

> If something like that happened on the server it might explain the
> delta text problems as well.

Hmmm.. Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure about there not being a AV on
our CVS server, 'cause there's some guy installing stuff he thinks we need
all the time.. There was no virus scanner when I checked when we first got
these problems, but somehow I feel confident that this IS indeed the problem
that caused these corrupted files.. NOW, there is a virus scanner, Norton...
I had these "cannot save file. In use"-problems locally and had to exclude
.h and .cpp... I'll add ".cpp,v" etc.. on the server ASAP. In any case,
sorry for the time you've spent on this, thinking it was your mistake :-/

What temporary files are created on the server during a commit? Is there a
way to prevent ALL other applications from accessing this file while the cvs
server is working on it? Like before, if these temporary files have a
prefix, how do you feel about making it configurable?

L.