[cvsnt] [update aborted]: cannot rename file over and over

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Dec 9 10:11:30 GMT 2002

Lionello Lunesu wrote:

> Is there a way to make that .new. prefix configurable? I'd like to try a
> prefix without dots and see if my --ahum-- NORTON antivirus actually
> ignores .h and .cpp like I've told it to.

It's the way CVS has always worked...  I'm not keen to change it just
because Norton is broken.  I suppose I could use the VMS version (_new_) on
Win32.

> What temporary files are created on the server during a commit? Is there a
> way to prevent ALL other applications from accessing this file while the
> cvs server is working on it? Like before, if these temporary files have a
> prefix, how do you feel about making it configurable?

The temporary files are generally .tmp extensions (on NT at least, I think
decided by the OS), along with the RCS copies (',' prefix and missing the
end 'v').  The client writes  the .new. files and the CVS/Entries.Backup
and CVS/Entries.log.