[cvsnt] A problem using encryption in sspi mode

Jensen, Mike Mike.Jensen at BCHydro.bc.ca
Mon Dec 9 20:26:24 GMT 2002

Hi there,

I recently installed cvsnt 1.11.1.3 (build 62) on my Windows 2000
workstation (currently in a workgroup, not a domain).  I setup a test
repository using the CVSNT application from the Control Panel, enabled "Use
local users instead of domain", and changed the temporary directory to
another location.  I then started both the cvs and cvs locking services.

Using the :ntserver method, I created two users with the passwd -a command,
giving them no passwords.  This created the passwd file in the CVSROOT with
the two usernames I just created - these usernames are also local users on
the Win2K workstation.

I then went to my laptop, also running cvsnt 1.11.1.3 (build 62) client on
Win2K.  The :pserver method of login worked fine, and I modified the config
file to set SystemAuth=no and change the LockDir directory to a location
under the new temp location.  I was able to commit this information without
any problems.  I then logged out.

I then logged in using the :sspi method and was able to carry out various
tasks without any problems.  However, after logging out, I decided to log in
using the :sspi method with encryption (using the -x flag).  I was able to
login without any difficulty, but if I tried any other command using
encryption, such as ls, I received the following error message:

cvs [ls aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

On my Win2K workstation, running the cvsnt server, the cvs.exe process
created a Dr. Watson error.

I am wanting to use this cvsnt server for a couple of clients on the
Internet, and I would like to use sspi with encryption.  Does anyone know
why I'm receiving this error?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Jensen