[cvsnt] Re: [cvsgui] Re: Unable to correctly import *.tar.gz archives

Mike Ayers mike.ayers at earthling.net
Tue Dec 17 09:50:33 GMT 2002

Arvind Raman wrote:
> Hi there,
> This might sound interesting- probably might throw out
> a bug
> 1. I tried adding the file (*.tar.gz) to the database
> - checked out the file and compared it with the one
> that I has checked in. It was same.
> 2. But when I tried importing the same file - CVS
> recognized it as a Unicode file - I asked it to force
> it as a binary file (used the -kb option). After the
> import happened I looked at the RCS file and it was
> just a 1KB big. Obviously the file on the database was
> not similar to the one I had asked it to import.
>
> So there exists some difference between import and add
> even when both of them treat the file in the same way.
> Is that normal ?

	This is the import problem of CVS.  The import command treats all
files as text files, and there is no way to change this (it ignores
"-kb").  It seems that at a certain point in your .tar.gz file there
is a ^Z character, which is the old DOS convention to end a text file,
and this will cause the read of the file to stop, which is why the
imported file is so short.

	Now is the part where I tell you "don't do that".  The import command
is meant to bring in large trees of source code, which would be all
text files.  If your TGZ file contains all text files, you can expand
it and import those, otherwise just use `cvs add` to add a single file.

/|/|ike