[Cvsnt] Problem setting access rights for repository

Koen no at ssppaamm.com
Wed Feb 13 12:27:47 GMT 2002

[CVS NT Service 1.11.1.2 (Build 41), pserver protocol and pserver
impersonation, no ntserver protocol or impersonation]
[WinCVS 1.2]

Hi!
I have a repository like this:

c:\cvsMyRepository
c:\cvsMyRepository\CVSROOT
c:\cvsMyRepository\MyModule

located on a Windows2000Pro machine called MYMACHINE, which is in its turn
on a local network domain called MYDOMAIN.

I'm using :pserver: protocol (also need to access files from Linux machines)
and I have a passwd file in the CVSROOT directory containing:

usera:dfDFfkd:ntusera
userb:fgdneEZ:ntusera

When I put a user of MYDOMAIN in place of ntuser, it all works (provided
that the ntuser has the correct rights on my local machine's repository
files of course).

Now (here comes trouble!), I created two user groups, each having one member
(user) on my machine
(not on the domain):

CVSAdministrators (has as member user CVSAdministrator)
CVSUsers (has a member user CVSUser)

I did this in order to start setting up some security on the repository
files.

When I put CVSAdministrator or CVSUser in place of the ntuser, it does not
work any longer:

---> in the passwd file:
usera:dfDFfkd:CVSAdministrator
userb:fgdneEZ:CVSUser

----> as output when checking out a module with WinCVS:
NEW CVSROOT: usera at MYMACHINE.rug.ac.be:C:\cvsMyRepository (password
authentication)
cvs login
(Logging in to usera at MYMACHINE.rug.ac.be)
*****CVS exited normally with code 0*****
cvs checkout MyModule (in directory D:\Temp)
Fatal error, aborting.
CVSAdministrator: no such user
cvs checkout: authorization failed: server MYMACHINE.rug.ac.be rejected
access
to C:\cvsMyRepository for user usera
*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

As you can see, logging in is OK. It's just when I try to checkout a module
that things fail.
I always try stopping and restarting the server as well (but that doesn't
help either).
And you can be sure that the user CVSAdministrator does indeed exist (this
one even has full control on all files in the repository) !

So, after that, I tried adding the machine name (local domain) in the passwd
file (for usera):

usera:dfDFfkd:MYMACHINE\CVSAdministrator

and this gives:

cvs checkout MyModule (in directory D:\Temp)
cvs [server aborted]: can't chdir(C:): Permission denied
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
any)
*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

and it gives me the following in my D:\Temp directory:
D:\Temp\MyModule
D:\Temp\MyModule\CVS
D:\Temp\MyModule\CVS\Entries
D:\Temp\MyModule\CVS\Entries.log
D:\Temp\MyModule\CVS\Repository
D:\Temp\MyModule\CVS\Root

all other files are missing...

I also tried with MYMACHINE/CVSAdministrator but that also gives a "no such
user" error...

What's going wrong here ?
Anyone ?
Any help ?