[Cvsnt] newbie : help required asap regarding WinCVS configuration and reserved checkout

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Mon Feb 18 20:55:38 GMT 2002

Khalid Sheikh wrote:
> 1. Apparently the previous WinCVS admin configured
> WinCVS in such a way, or maybe default configuration
> like i said i am a newbie, if a developer creates a
> new file and checks it in, in the mean time someother
> developer wants to use that file so he/she tries to
> check that file out, WinCVS makes you take all the
> files from the repository. it's all or nothing. is
> there a way i can change that so that the developer
> only needs to grab that particular file and not
> everythign else. Thanks.

There is no such option in cvsnt or (I think) WinCVS -
either you're missing something or the admin has put
some kind of script there (not sure how this would
work, though).

> 2. second one is regarding setting up reserved
> checkout model for the development enviroment. we
> don't want to deal with the hassle of unreserved
> checkout model, partially because the development
> cycle is so small and a very small number of actual
> developers are on board. so we want to implement the
> reserved checkout model, is there a way we can
> automate this process without asking each developer to
> actually go ahead and lock the file before checking it
> out to edit it. we can always depend on a large number
> of developers to go ahead and follow the laid out
> steps but it is the very few who make it an issue and
> cause the major headaches in the end.

Reserved checkouts are almost always a bad idea -  Concurrent
development is far less hassle than reserved checkouts.  However if you
really need them CVS isn't the tool you should be using. There are
several commercial offerings that support this.