[Cvsnt] Problems with checkout -d

OMALLEY, JOHN C (SBCSI) jo2847 at sbc.com
Tue Feb 26 22:19:46 GMT 2002

Configuration
  Server: NT Server 4.0 SP6.  CVSNT 1.11.1.2 (Build 41).
          Only "pserver protocol" is checked in control panel.
  Client: Win 2K SP2.  CVSNT 1.11.1.2 (Build 41)

The command:

  cvs checkout -d modulename_branch -r branch_tag modulename

will appear to work fine.  The folder is created, and all files are added.
If, however, I do a cvs status, I get something like this:

  cvs server: X.java is no longer in the repository
  File: X.java     Status: Entry Invalid

     Working revision:    1.1.1.1
     Repository revision: No revision control file
     Sticky Tag:          v800 _branch_1 - MISSING from RCS file!
     Sticky Date:         (none)
     Sticky Options:      (none)

In the above example, the Sticky Tag should have been v8000_branch_1.

The update, commit, log, etc. commands will give the same "cvs server:
X.java is no longer in the repository" message.

In attempting to diagnose this problem, I noticed the following:

1.  If a branch is checked out using the default module name, it will work
as far as update and commit are concerned, however, the output from cvs
status will be similar to the above (v800 _branch_1 - MISSING from RCS
file!).

2.  If I copy the repository to my local hard drive (c:\localcvsroot) and
simply use a CVSROOT of c:\localcvsroot everything works fine.  The cvs
status output is correct, and I can update and commit on the branch that was
checked out with the -d option.

3.  I tried turning on "pserver impersonation" (which I confess I don't
quite understand) and restarting the service.  I then checked out a fresh
copy, using the -d and -r options as above.  There was no change in
behavior.

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

John O'Malley
Technical Architect - ETM
SBC Communications, Inc.