[Cvsnt] Newbie Alert: CVS Server

Joachim Achtzehnter joachima at netacquire.com
Sun Jan 27 05:01:31 GMT 2002

Tom Deprez wrote:

> 1. Is there a way to not use authentication at all? So that no
> password/user has to be given for accessing the CVS?

All of the client/server protocols supported by CVS require some kind of
authentication. Local access, which bypasses the CVS service altogether,
doesn't require 'cvs autentication', but in this case you are already
logged in and authenticated by the operating system.

What is the reason for your question? CVS logins are hardly an annoyance:
with the pserver protocol you need to login only once per host, with
ntserver you don't need any explicit login, it uses your NT login data
behind the scenes.

> 2. Can I use the CVS server and a CVS Client on the same machine?

Yes.

> but is there a real big problem when they run both on the same machine?

No. But keep in mind that there are two ways to run a client on the same
machine as the server. The client can talk to the NT service using pserver
or ntserver just as remote clients do, this is the recommended approach.
Or the client cvs program can access the repository files directly, this
is not recommended when a service is also running.

In large organizations there is some advantage in not having local users
because it reduces the chance that somebody accidentally messes with the
repository.

> 3. In the Control Panel, you've to check the possible authentications. What
> happens if I uncheck them all?

Then nobody can access the CVS service. If all your clients are on NT
machines and in the same domain ntserver is a reasonable choice.
Otherwise, for example with Linux or OpenBSD clients, you can't use
ntserver and should use pserver instead. If you need real security, allow
access only via ssh.

> what do the 'impersonation' checkboxes mean?

With impersonation you can use file access permissions to control which
users have permission to access certain modules. With impersonation the
server runs with the priviliges of the logged-in user.

Joachim

--
home: joachim at kraut.ca        (http://www.kraut.ca)
work: joachima at netacquire.com (http://www.netacquire.com)