[Cvsnt] .owner and .perms: how I can rid of them?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu Jun 13 22:06:29 BST 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:50:32 +0100, Gabriele Carcassi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use CVSNT as a command line to access a repository on a UNIX server
> via filesystem (:local:). Whenever I add a directory, I noticed that it
> also adds two other files: .owner and .perms.
>
> Does anybody now what they are, and how I can make them not appear
> again?

They're part of the access control system on cvsnt.  If you delete them
it'll just put them back.

It's not generally a good idea to use :local: over a network share - you
get locking issues.  It's especially not a good idea to use cvsnt locally
to a repository shared with a standard CVS server - at the moment the
repositories are compatible but that can (and will, probably) change.

It's much better to use pserver or ssh/rsh to the unix server, which is
guaranteed to remain compatible.