[Cvsnt] Questions about Bo's CVSMailer

Eric Weidl weidl at intersites.com
Wed Jun 26 18:40:18 BST 2002

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response. I've added some responses.

>the CVSMailer program was developed by me to handle the email at a few
>sites I maintain. The contents of the ini file is a bit confusing, the
>entries are really used during development only.
>But une by one:
>1) The prefix in the ini file is used to help CVSMailer find the

Great.

>2) The recipients entries in the ini file was for debugging before the
>loginfousers file was created. Please disregard, I will remove it
>later.

Okay.

>3) Same goes for the users in the ini file. Old stuff that should have
>been deleted before I posted it.

Even better.

>4) How to specify a limited set of users?
>This is a valid question. I have thought about it a bit but not done
>enything yet. As things stand now *all* subscribed users get email
>always including the guy doing the commit.
>I have an idea of either supporting a list of users on the command
>line or having users in different sections in the loginfousers file.
>Don't know what to do really.

I'd vote for the command line approach. Or possibly specifying a file, as
an argument on the command line, containing a list of users.

The reason I like that option better is that I am building a deployment
application. There will be dozens of applications stored in CVS and there
are tools to allow the team to create new projects and associated teams at
any time. None of the users executing that code have access to the CVSROOT
and I don't want to give them access. So I need some way to dynamically
specify the list of users to send the email to. The list would be based on
the name of the root project directory in CVS.

>5) CVSMailer is designed so it can be used both from loginfo and
>notify scripts. These send different input to CVSMailer so i need to
>know how to handle this. The first parameter can be one of -l or -n,
>where -n is used in the notify script.
>You got the other parameters right.

Okay.

>6) After some changes I made the sender is the user that is identified

Couldn't you use the $USER's email address as the Reply-To: header? And/or,
why don't you add it to the message body?

Regards,

Eric