[Cvsnt] The PWGEN.exe command line utility

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Sat Mar 2 18:05:41 GMT 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:35:23 +0000 (UTC), Tony Hoyle
<tmh at nothing-on.tv> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> There is a catch-22 here! Unless you can log in to cvsnt you are
>> unable to set any passwords. But in order to log in the first user in
>> the passwd file must have a password entry recorded in the file. An
>> empty password is not accepted.
>
>By default SystemAuth=Yes, so you can log in with an administrator
>username/password and set the passwords from there.
>
>Empty passwords should work OK, I'll check that.
>
>> I tried using ntserver as cvsroot but then when I used the cvs passwd
>> command to add a user cvsnt complained about an invalid cvsroot. The
>> only way I could find to use the cvs passwd command was using the
>> pserver protocol. So how is the very first user created???
>
>ntserver should work too...  The passwd command doesn't really care
>about cvsroot.
>
>Tony

Does not work, here is a sample session from the command line using
the very latest version of cvsnt (updated my checkout and built it 6
hours ago):

C:\>set cvsroot=:ntserver:armadillo:/pc

C:\>cvs passwd -a kalleanka
cvs passwd: CVSROOT ":ntserver:armadillo:/pc" is not fully-qualified.
cvs [passwd aborted]: Please make sure to specify "user at host"!

C:\>set cvsroot=:ntserver:bosse at armadillo:/pc

C:\>cvs passwd -a kalleanka
cvs passwd: The protocol always used the current user.  Do not specify
a username.
cvs passwd: bad CVSROOT: :ntserver:bosse at armadillo:/pc
cvs [passwd aborted]: Bad CVSROOT.

C:\>

I can't get around this at all. In my passwd file is a single name, my
own login 'bosse' without any password part.

Still looks like a catch-22 to me....

Bo Berglund
bo.berglund at system3r.se