[Cvsnt] Next release features

Brian Smith brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Sat Mar 9 16:40:43 GMT 2002

Bo Berglund wrote:
> The CVS directories are created on the client side and are basical CVS
> 'tandard'. I don't think Tony can move these away without breaking the
> compatibility to all cvs software available...

IF (a big if) I can make a "cvs.dll" that CVS clients use to access all
the files, then changes like this would be much easier since nobody
would be accessing the CVS metadata directory/files directly.

In particular, I would like to experiment with storing all the CVS
metadata in NTFS extended file attributes attached to the
files/directories. Then there wouldn't need to be "CVS" subdirectories
at all for Windows NT/2000/XP clients. In addition, the clients would
automatically be able to detect moving/copying/renaming of files.

But that can't happen as long as:
(1) so many programs are directly dependent on the contents of these files
(2) people need to manually change the metadata (for example, when Tony
gave me a CVS account, I had to change all my "Root" files to contain
bsmith at cvs.cvsnt.org instead of cvs at cvs.cvsnt.org so I didn't lose my
local changes).

- Brian