[Cvsnt] Next release features

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Sat Mar 9 23:50:28 GMT 2002

Brian Smith wrote:
> IF (a big if) I can make a "cvs.dll" that CVS clients use to access all
> the files, then changes like this would be much easier since nobody
> would be accessing the CVS metadata directory/files directly.

The CVS code structure really doesn't allow for much more than what
WinCVS did.  Perhaps over time something could be worked out.

> In particular, I would like to experiment with storing all the CVS
> metadata in NTFS extended file attributes attached to the
> files/directories. Then there wouldn't need to be "CVS" subdirectories
> at all for Windows NT/2000/XP clients. In addition, the clients would
> automatically be able to detect moving/copying/renaming of files.

Automatically detecting 'add' would be nice, too, but I can't think of a
good way to do that (since compilation typically creates dozens of files
that you don't want adding to the repository).

> But that can't happen as long as:
> (1) so many programs are directly dependent on the contents of these files

That isn't going to go away - cvsnt must be largely compatible with cvs
otherwise nobody is going to use it...  There are hundreds of cvs
frontends and most of them won't change quickly if at all.

> (2) people need to manually change the metadata (for example, when Tony
> gave me a CVS account, I had to change all my "Root" files to contain
> bsmith at cvs.cvsnt.org instead of cvs at cvs.cvsnt.org so I didn't lose my
> local changes).

If it was in NTFS file attributes then it would be impossible to change
the root :-)  At the moment it's really simple.