[Cvsnt] Setting up CVS for NT on a Windows NT 4.0 SP6a Server

Joel Lemon JLemon at point-inc.com
Thu Mar 14 15:09:21 GMT 2002

Tony:
This is a follow-up to my post of yesterday with many questions of which
your responses are unclear and other questions that were not answered, and
also new questions that must be cleared up before I can make sense of this
software.
Here are my questions;
My Question: I cannot use 'cvs passwd' at the server either. It complains
that I cannot add users when I don't have  administrative privileges.
Tony's Response: You will have trouble installing cvsnt without
administrator privileges. You can get around the cvsnt checks by adding
yourself to the CVSROOT/admin file, but you won't be able to install the
service properly (it won't be able to impersonate users, which will mean
that file permissions will not work).
My Follow-up: Tony, I have the service running using the Local System on the
server. I am logged into the machine as a domain administrator. If I use an
'admin' file where does it get located? Do I need multiple copies of it on
the server? Does it get checked in to CVS?
********
My Results of  running "cvsservice -test"; Starting auth server on port
2401/tcp... > Socket Failed (Handle=00000074
Family=2,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): (not fatal) > Error: All socket binds
failed.
Tony's response: Something else is already listening on the socket.
My Follow-up: I've tried disabling about every service that is running on
the machine and it still fails.
********
My Question: It has three repositories under this named \cvs > \gladiator
and \testrepo > > D:\cvsrepo\cvs > D:\cvsrepo\gladiator >
D:\cvsrepo\testrepo I am unclear what exactly the CVSROOT system environment
setting should be.
Tony's response:
In this case;
:pserver:username at server:d:/cvsrepo/cvs
:pserver:username at server:d:/cvsrepo/gladiator
:pserver:username at server:d:/cvsrepo/testrepo
My Follow-up: Tony, Are we talking about the "CVSROOT" System Environment
variable in <My Computer><properties><environment><system variables>?

I can only put one value for the environment variable "CVSROOT" in here.

You know, in the CVS for NT Control Panel, under the Repositories Tab, I
have a "repository prefix" of D:/cvsrepo.
Installation instructions show to use a 'slash' and not a 'backslash' here.

I show valid repositories of;

/cvs
/gladiator
/testrepo

Is this correct?

***************

More unanswered questions from my previous post that I would like answered.

1. The CVS for NT is installed in C:\programs\cvsnt while I have devoted the
D:\ drive to the repositories.
The System Variable for PATH has 'C:\programs\cvsnt' added to the end of it.
Is this correct?

2. When I try to login using the password I have setup in the .passwd (with
a dot) file in the HOME directory on the server c:/ and In the "passwd" file
(no dot preceding it) in each of the repositories cvsroot directories.
Where exactly do all of the .passwd and passwd files go on the server and on
the client?
Do I need one in each cvsroot folder in each repository? Are these named
passwd without the dot?
The .passwd file (with the dot) must be placed in the location specified by
the System Variable "HOME" on the server as well as the 'passwd' files
(without the dot).
Are any of these passwd files required on the client? Please be specific.
3. Is cvsignore provided somewhere. If we need to create it ourselves, then
where does it go? Does it get checked into cvs? What is the syntax of the
file?
4. I checked the registry and I have no value set for BindAddress. Is this
required or not?
The following Registry key doesn't exist on the server. In
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CVS\Pserver\ BindAddress String Address of
interface to bind to, on multi-homed hosts. Defaults to binding to all
interfaces.
5. I followed a tip to download an older zip file of cvs for nt and get the
pwgen.exe to generate encrypted passwords. Is this workable or do you
suggest some other way or what?
6. In the WinCVS client, the fields under <admin><preferences> currently are
as follows:
Authentication:		pserver
Path:			//cvs-svr1/cvsrepo/cvs
Host Address:		cvs-svr1
Username:		user1
CVSROOT:		user1 at cvs-svr1://cvs-svr1/cvsrepo/cvs

My CVS server is named 'cvs-svr1'

Given that I have multiple repositories

/cvsrepo/cvs
/cvsrepo/gladiator
/cvsrepo/testrepo

and a repository prefix of '/cvsrepo'

And I want to use pserver authentication

And I'm configuring the WinCVS client to attach to the Windows NT 4.0 Server
running CVS for NT;

Is the Path about correct? Should it have a double slash or single slash?
Should it have the /cvs on the end or just
/cvs-svr1/cvsrepo?

Please help.

This is all very confusing.

Thanks.