[Cvsnt] Cvsservice -test at the Server generates error and ma ny other iss ues that need clarification or fixed

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Mar 14 16:18:36 GMT 2002

Joel,
I am clipping the stuff I can help with:

-------------
>I have a repository setup as Bo suggested on my dedicated D:\ drive on the
>server and named
>D:\cvsrepo
>
>It has three repositories under this named \cvs
>\gladiator and \testrepo
>
>D:\cvsrepo\cvs
>D:\cvsrepo\gladiator
>D:\cvsrepo\testrepo
>
>I am unclear what exactly the CVSROOT system environment setting should be
>in this case
------------------
Try :pserver:user at servermachine:d:/cvsrepo/cvs

If the server has not been set up with the "prefix" turned on this will be
the correct root.
Note that you must supply the correct user and servermachine names....

One way to test things out is to go somewhere on your workstation, say
c:\projects and start a command prompt there. You need to have installed
cvs on this machine and set the path variable to point to it too. Then:

set cvsroot=:pserver:user at servermachine:d:/cvsrepo/cvs
cvs login
  Now enter the password (can be empty!)
cvs co CVSROOT
This should get you a checked out copy of the CVSROOT module of repository
d:/cvsrepo/cvs

-------------------
>When I try to login using the password I have setup in the .passwd (with a
>dot) file in the HOME directory on the server c:/ and
>In the "passwd" file (no dot preceeding it) in each of the repositories
>cvsroot directories, I get the following error;
-------------------
Don't mess with the .passwd file! It is managed exclusively by cvs to store
*encrypted* versions of the password you have logged in with to the various
servers you use. It is a client side cache of passwords.

The CVSROOT/passwd file in the repository on the other hand contains the list
of valid users for the cvs system and the format of the entries here is:
username[:[encrypted password][:system alias account]] examples:
bosse
johan:IBr6CryEW1uNU
olle::anders
pelle:m2dFEK20zkYtY:annelie

In other words:
bosse needs no password
johan needs a password that matches the hash AND he must be a system user
olle needs no password and is aliased to valid user anders (not a good combination)
pelle needs a password and is then aliased to annelie

Note that you must be physically at the server to manipulate the passwd file, it is not
part of the files retrieved with a checkout.